Being a prototype, I didn't go nuts with detailing, but even at this point, it's still a presentable model. Steps into the cab, grab irons for the bunker and cab, boiler handrails, steps and bumpers for the end beams, the list could go on and on. Not everyone wants to spend that much time super-detailing their models, but I will, eventually. I'll photograph this one with an actual camera when "done" but I wanted to figure out the issues that might come up while building to see what could be improved on in the design.
The first issue I figured out was the driveshafts.
The "for sale" model will have this:
The model doesn't come with any of the sand lines, steam tubing, bell, whistle, or lights. Here is what I used:
- Steam pipe from steam dome: 3/64 brass rod from K&S metals
- Boiler steam pipes: .032 brass rod from K&S metals
- sand lines: .015 phosphor bronze wire (Tichy Train Group)
- boiler supports: .020 phosphor bronze wire (Tichy Train Group)
- Whistle: It's actually scratchbuilt. I wrapped Tamiya masking tape around a bit of .032" wire, then coated in CA glue to make it solid. Worked pretty well.
The bell is a Marsh Creek bell (3D printed), and the headlight.... well, I broke the one that came on the model, so I replaced it with a brass part, I think it was from Toma. I didn't break it handling, I dropped it 3 feet to the concrete so...
Short list of items to finish before it's available:
- Add detailing to the end beams
- Add holes for bumper bars (coupler lift bars I guess)
- Add holes for grab irons
- Add tabs for bunker and cab alignment
- Add "dimples" for spots to drill the boiler for handrail stanchions. (this will be optional, if you don't want to add those, you can just not drill them out, and fill the dimples in, and sand smooth)
- Model an optional Ash pan. I don't like the way the bump on the Tomytec Chassis looks. It has a small weight inside, but the whole thing can be cut off easily with a razor saw. In order to make up for that weight, a boiler ash pan could be added, along with some weights in there. This won't slow down release
I've got a trick to make grab irons that I'll include as well. I'll have to take photos of it to explain how it's used.
So far, I have easily over 80 hours in this project, and I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. I hope you all like it as well, and start adding Marsh Creek Shays to your logging roster.
Go Build Something Awesome.